Thursday, June 23, 2011

DIY Speedlight Softbox | Day 44/365

Via Flickr:
dude, this baby is so cool! For being my first prototype I have a few improvements I want to address in the next DIY softbox, but this is a very good construction that goes flat for travel and transport.

If you are interested in the directions I used, see here

I changed up a few things because I couldnt find some materials.

I used 12 gauge wire from Joann's or Micheals (or your local craft store) which was a better and easy wire to use. It set me back about 4 dollars but I messed up my wire hanger and didnt have another one lying around.

I also made the diffusion part cutting out a 1/2" frame of coroplast that fit the edge of softbox and spray glued a white piece of shower curtain I bought from the dollar store. I also covered part of the edges of the softbox with soft side velcro to help with the side spill of light - guess it didnt work out - I'll have to address this with the next soft box. Plus the sign guy I bought the corrugated plastic from didnt have black, but he said he could order it for me when I needed it. For being so cheap for such a large size (ten dollars for half a sheet, which is at least 5'x5') I can make at least 4 more of these. Its a great size. Mine is 10"x10" of light.

I took some sample photos of it in use (See below), and cant wait to use it Saturday on my model shoot :)

PS. Kerry says I need to start a blog of all the photography stuff I make and talk about. All I do is ramble on and on about what I learn and what I do. I think hes getting tired of me talking about it lol

What do you guys think?

Project 365 Year 2: Day 44

No comments:

Post a Comment