Monday, May 30, 2011

I Know Your Girlfriend Hates Me | Day 22/365

Via Flickr:
"I know your girlfriend hates me
I see it in her eyes
The way she looks right on me
It opens up in time
I know your girlfriend hates me
See you know it’s true
The way she hangs upon you
And watches every move, come on
Girl you think you’re something
But have I got news for you (who)
I don’t mind
If it’s the cold and sadistic you like
But now I’m thinking
Who’s wearing your trousers now
She’s no good
Oh stop pretending she’s misunderstood
I heard her saying it’s either me or her
Smell the coffee, boy, and open your eyes
Life’s too long for you to get it wrong"


I Know Your Girlfriend Hates Me by Annie

I stumbled upon Annie as I was searching Grooveshark for songs to listen to since Pandora ran out of hours this month. I'm in love.

I have this thing about Euro Pop, I love it hahaha.

anyways, there is some buzz going on over at 500px (http://500px.com/gsalicki/blog/3994) regarding their ability of keeping copyright law intact and not annoying people. I think it is a necessary read, especially since a lot of us are over there already.

This is an evolving issue, the ability to protect photographers. Not every image can be protected, we can all place our own measures of protection (overlays, copyright notices, embedded information, metadata information, watermarks) but the avenues that we use to help express our art is being threatened. Should we give up everyone that views our images the ability to use them for personal use? (because apparently our servers are doing that)

Every time something creative is posted or shared on the internet, it is up for grabs for anyone. Those that find value in their work tend to go the extra mile to deter would-be infringers. Education is key to keeping everyone happy regarding this issue. But not everyone knows copyright laws.

This is the frustrating part in the debate to post anything on the internet. As for how I would like my images to be shared with the world through flickr? I disabled blogging of my images, I disabled the ability to download the images, sometimes on important images I watermark, but that is not going to stop someone from taking my image. I understand that and am prepared for those people who just dont understand copyright.

Flickr has turned into the new image search engine for marketing depts looking for cheap photos. But Flickr has acted as well as they can to address this issue. You can see the license status of the image, and you can request use of it if the user has enabled this feature via Getty Images.

For now, 500px seems to be for the viewer, for the user, not necessarily for creators of art or images. That is such a shame, because I really liked that site.

At least Flickr is, for now, for the photographer.

The world is changing as we have to change with it.

PS I am looking for a copyright lawyer who can help explain to me certain aspects of the law. One of the users from 500px brought up some interesting issues regarding the copyright law and I am willing to make trades of photography for some advice. If you can help me I would like that very much and it would be greatly appreciated!

Until then, strobist info: Lumopro LP160 bare, 1/16 zoomed 24mm, boomed camera right 45 degrees.

Project 365 Year 2: Day 22

No comments:

Post a Comment